Music has a special power to move us and stir our emotions. Anyone who has ever wiped away tears from their eyes while listening to their favorite sad song will know how powerful simple notes and chords can be. Everyone has their own reasons for loving music and each person has a unique style they enjoy listening to. With such a variety out there it is impossible not to find a favorite. Whether music is used to de-stress or to energize, it has a benefit for everyone.
Below are some of music’s health benefits explained in detail:
- Pain Killer: Music has the ability to reduce pain through release of endorphins which act as natural pain killers. It can also divert attention away from the pain and encouraging relaxation. According to a study published in the Journal of Advanced Nursing, listening to music daily can reduce chronic pain by up to 21 percent. The study also found that listening to music made people feel more in control of their pain, reduced depression, and made people feel less disabled by their condition.
- Reduces Stress: Stress has been associated with many illnesses, including several mental illnesses that seem to occur only in people with exceedingly high stress levels. In a study conducted, subjects were made listen to a half-hour of soothing music twice daily for two weeks. It showed significantly greater reductions in stress and anxiety levels in the subjects.
- Cardiovascular benefits: Listening to soothing music also helps reduce your heart rate and blood pressure. As a result of a lower blood pressure, it also reduces the risk of stroke and other health problems over time. In a new Italian study, researchers found that people with mild hypertension (high blood pressure) who listened to classical, Celtic or Indian (raga) music for just 30 minutes a day for one month had significant reductions in their blood pressure. Good music helps to calm down the cells and tissues that make up the lungs thereby bringing down the patient’s breathing and heart rate to normal.
- Stimulate brains cells: Research has shown that music with a strong beat can stimulate brainwaves to resonate in sync with the beat, with faster beats bringing sharper concentration and more alert thinking. On the other hand, listening to soothing classical music improves ability to focus for longer time and promotes a calm, meditative state. It brings about a sense of well-being and creativity, a change which lasts long after the music has ceased to play.
- Boosts exercise performance: Listening to music while you exercise may have a considerable impact on your exercise performance and commitment. Music diverts your attention in repetitive exercises thus the feeling of fatigue, exhaustion and boredom are evaded. Music can also act as a stimulant which can increase your performance. Respiration and cardiac rate is increased from music which can help you intensify your workout. According to a study conducted in 2005, listening to music while exercising boosted participants’ weight loss and helped exercisers stay consistent.
- Promote a sound sleep: Listening to music as we drift off to sleep ensures that we get the rest that we need from our sleep. Sleep puts your body in a healthy condition as it takes away the effects of stress, depression and anxiety from a person.
- Increase optimism: Depression leads to weakness, headache, confusion, and loss of concentration. Music can also be used to bring a more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression at bay. Good music also makes one to remember happy moments or good days. It also increases self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Helps in Cancer: Research suggests that music may offer a number of benefits for people coping with cancer. It reduces anxiety in patients receiving radiation therapy, as well as eases nausea and vomiting resulting from high-dose chemotherapy.
- Helps socialize: Music is a great way to get together with people who share a similar passion. It helps you to meet new people, socialize and give you a sense of belonging.
- Helps in spiritual health: There is a unique connection between music and spirituality. Chanting or some kind of music helps people worship in a meaningful way, and makes them feel closer to God.
Music performs unimaginable wonders and is fundamental to a human’s well-being. So make music a part of your lifestyle and feel the difference.
Article from: 10 Benefits of Listening to Music, Health Benefits of Music and Benefits of Listening to Music.
Activity for Today:
Complete the Name that Christmas Song trivia.
Mark on your Calendar:
Write down your favorite holiday song or if you don’t have one a song that you enjoy listening to. Also, be sure to attach your completed Name that Song trivia page.