Christopher J. Smith - Associate Professor
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering Technology
Purdue University North Central
- BS Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1979.
- BA Humanities, University of Notre Dame, 1980.
- MS Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1983.
- Two years coursework toward PhD in Electrical Engineering.
Publications in the Past Ten Years
- What Should We Teach Our Students About Safety?, ASAIHL Conference, UTM Skudai, Johor, Malaysia, 1995.
- Software in Technology Programs, ASEE Annual Conference, Edmonton, Canada, 1994.
- Software Exchange, ASEE Annual Conference, Champaign-Urbana IL, 1993.
- Engineering Technology Project Courses, ASEE Annual Conference, Toledo OH, 1992.
- Thoughts on Design in the Engineering Technology Curriculum, Frontiers in Education Conference, West Lafayette IN, 1991.
- Engineering Technology Project Courses, ASEE Annual Conference, New Orleans LA, 1991.
Professional Associations / Consulting Experience / Travels
- ASEE -- Member since 1984, Vice-President of International Division.
- IEEE -- Member since 1972.
- IACEE -- Founding member 1989.
- DPMA -- Member 1982-90, Board of Directors - EDSIG.
- PLC-Based Industrial Control.
- Digital Electronics and Computer Control.
- Consultant for Ohio State Board of Regents.
- Beijing, China, 1989 -- Attended 4th World Conference for Continuing Engineering Education. Also present at Tienanmen Square "incident."
- Batu Pahat, Malaysia, 1995-96 -- Taught at Institut Teknologi Tun Hussein Onn (ITTHO), campus of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) for one and one-half years.
- Singapore, 1995-96 -- Travelled to Singapore frequently while living in Malaysia.
Courses / Teaching Interests / Awards
- EET 109, 159, 196, 207, 209, 214, 231, 257, 302, 309, 317, 331.
- For information about these courses please refer to the EET Home Page -- http://www.pnc.edu/te/ac/eet/eet.html.
- Digital Electronics, Industrial Control, Instrumentation, Computer Design, PLCs, Electrical Power, Internet Development.
- Summer 1994 -- Taught computer course for 14-year-olds. We assembled our own PCs, learned computer literacy and worked with math & reading improvement software. Average improvement in math and reading level was two grade levels.
- Summer 1997 -- I again taught a computer course for 14- & 15-year-olds. We assembled our own multi-media PCs, learned computer literacy and worked on math & reading improvement. Students also learned to use the Internet and put together a class web page. To visit our class web page, please click here.
Honors and Awards:
- Outstanding Teacher Award, PU/NC, 1992.
- Special Recognition Award, ITTHO, Malaysia, 1996.
How to Contact me
- Office: 068 TECH
- Phone: 219 / 785-5256 (Please leave a message if I'm out.)
- E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address: EET Department, Purdue University North Central, 1401 South U S 421, Westville IN 46391
- EET Department Home Page: Click here.
Please send comments and suggestions to me at