Purdue University North Central will celebrate the groundbreaking for its Student Services and Activities Complex on Thursday, Oct. 16 at 2 p.m. The new building will be located on the southeast side of the PNC Westville campus.
“This will be a momentous day for Purdue North Central,” said PNC Chancellor Dr. James B. Dworkin. “This building will become the focal point of student activities on campus.”
The turning of the first shovels of dirt will culminate 10 years of planning. “A tremendous amount of work went in to making this building a reality,” said Dworkin. “Our area legislators were strong advocates for us and saw to it that the Indiana General Assembly included funding in its 2013 – 2015 budget. Locally, we spent many hours working to raise additional funds to help pay for the building. Our community members donated more than $3.7 million dollars because they know how important this building is to PNC. I sincerely thank everyone who helped make this groundbreaking possible.”
The donations include two gifts of $1 million. One came from an anonymous donor and another by Dr. and Mrs. Peter Kesling of LaPorte. The Kesling donation secured naming rights to the gymnasium which will be named the “H.D. Kesling Gymnasium” in honor of Dr. Kesling’s father.
A construction contract with Ziolkowski Construction Inc. of South Bend, was approved by the Purdue University Board of Trustees on Sept. 26. The $33.4 million project bid came in lower than estimated, resulting in $1.2 million in savings to be passed along to students. Funding sources for the Student Services and Activities Complex include the $3.7 million in gifts, along with $5 million to be paid from student fees. State support will pay for the remaining $24.7 million of the project.
Construction is expected to take about 18 months. One of the first events to be hosted in the Student Services and Activities Complex will be the May 2016 commencement.
The building will include:
- 102,239 gross square feet
- Second level contains a walking track and two exercise rooms
- Gymnasium and related areas
- Bleacher seating capacity of 1,361
- Total event capacity of 2,065
- Two full size basketball courts. A ceiling-hung divider can separate the courts
- The gymnasium can accommodate net sports such as volleyball and badminton
- Men’s and women’s fitness and team locker rooms
- Student government and organization areas
- Student study lounge
- Wellness center
- Game room
- Fitness area
- Great Hall with a seated banquet capacity of 500 and a seated event capacity of 980
- Catering kitchen