Purdue University North Central has been named to the 2015 Military Friendly Schools® list for the third consecutive year, as compiled by Victory Media Inc. The 2015 Military Friendly Schools® list honors the nation’s top colleges, universities and trade schools that welcome America’s military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
Victory Media notes that up to 400,000 service members leave military service each year and more than a third attend college after separation.
“At Purdue North Central, we welcome all active military members, veterans, their spouses and families,” said PNC Chancellor Dr. James B. Dworkin. “Purdue North Central traces its history back to the days following World War II. Its mission was to serve the educational needs of the returning soldiers. We continue to work hard to maintain that commitment. We pride ourselves as being a veteran-friendly campus.”
PNC has implemented a number of initiatives to help aid military members and veterans to become successful PNC students. They include:
- Priority Registration.
- Fee Deferment for registered students certified as eligible for GI Bill educational benefits.
- Campus activities include an annual Veterans Day ceremony and Veterans Awareness Month activities in April.
- The Leonard J. Brown Veterans Center in Library Student Faculty Building, Room 67, offers PNC student-veterans a place to study, socialize and hold group and individual meetings. The family of Leonard J. Brown, who served as a Tec 4 in the 474th Infantry Regiment from July 28, 1944 to April 15, 1946, has generously supported the PNC Veterans Center.
- PNC offers a Veterans Coordinator to serve as a resource to all students who are veterans or active military members. The Coordinator provides veteran-to-veteran support during the transition from military life to university life.
- PNC offers free CLEP testing to military vets. PNC accepts CLEP credit and provides eight hours of military credit that can be applied toward a degree. Additionally, veterans have the opportunity to apply for department credit based upon their individual transcript.
- PNC offers trained support staff to assist veterans and military members through the registration process.
Information about all services available to service members, veterans and their families can be found at http://www.pnc.edu/veterans/
The Military Friendly Schools® media and website can be accessed at www.militaryfriendlyschools.com. It features the complete Military Friendly Schools® list and other interactive tools.
Further information about the educational opportunities at Purdue North Central is available at www.pnc.edu or by calling 219-785-5505.