Types of Financial Aid Available at PNC

Financial aid at Purdue North Central (PNC) refers to a student’s entire financial aid award package. PNC participates in both title IV federal and state financial aid programs. Aid may include Grants, Scholarships, Federal Work-Study and Loans. New and continuing PNC students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 10 in order to be considered for federal and state aid as well as many scholarships. Information from the FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state aid and must be completed every academic year. Learn more about Requirements for Financial Aid. Your awards will be based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), grade level, enrollment status and other factors. Click on How Aid is Calculated for more information.

Federal and State Grants

Grants are a type of financial aid called ‘gift aid’ because they are free money for college that usually does not have to be repaid. Grants are often need-based (aid based on your financial need as determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA). Several types of Grants are available to qualifying students at PNC including:


Scholarships are another type of ‘gift aid’ and can be need-based, merit-based or both. Purdue North Central students are awarded institutional scholarships based on donor requirements, student qualifications and fund availability. A separate institutional scholarship application is not required, however, certain scholarships may require that students complete an application specific to that scholarship in order to be considered. Additional scholarship opportunities are available at Scholarships at PNC. Remember that scholarships that sound too good to be true usually are.  If you have to pay money for a scholarship or scholarship search it is most likely a scam. Learn more about ways to recognize and protect yourself from scholarship scams.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient’s course of study. If you work on campus, you’ll usually work for PNC. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your award amount, your class schedule, and your academic progress. Learn more about Student Employment at PNC.

Federal Loans

Even if you do not qualify for a grant or scholarship, nearly every student completing a FAFSA and meeting financial aid requirements is eligible for some form of Federal student loan. Federal student loans offer fixed interest rates that are usually lower than private loans and almost always lower than a credit card. Federal loans also have flexible repayment plans and deferment options if you are having trouble making payments. The PNC Financial Aid Office encourages you to make an informed decision about accepting a student loan. It’s important to understand that a loan is a legal obligation that you will be responsible for repaying with interest. Make smart borrowing choices by doing the following:

  • Keep track of your borrowing history by using the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Use the U.S. Department of Education’s Repayment Estimator to calculate your monthly loan payments.
  • Research starting salaries in your field. Talk to Career Development or graduates in your field of study to get an idea of how much you are likely to earn after graduation.
  • Use the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook to estimate salaries for different careers or research employment.
  • Understand the terms of your loan; when you sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN), you are agreeing to repay the loan even if you don’t complete your education, are not able to get a job after you complete the program or are unsatisfied with the education you received. Understanding Repayment
  • Keep in touch with your loan servicer. Notify your loan servicer when you graduate, withdraw from school, drop below half-time enrollment, transfer to another school or change your name, address or Social Security Number.

Learn more about different types of Federal Loans by clicking on the links below.

Federal Perkins Loan Note: Perkins loans at Purdue North Central are serviced by ECSI.
ECSI customer service number: 888-549-3274
ECSI web address: https://borrower.ecsi.net/

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Note: If you are offered both Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and only want to accept one loan, you must accept the full amount of Subsidized Loan offered to you before accepting your Unsubsidized Loan.  The Subsidized Loan should always be accepted first.

Federal Parent PLUS A Parent PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) is for the parent of a dependent student. The amount offered is typically the cost of attendance minus all other aid and resources. A parent may borrow less than the amount offered if desired.

Federal Graduate PLUS

Private Loans

Private Education Loans, also known as Alternative Loans are made by individual lenders.  These lenders are required to obtain a Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form from the applicant prior to disbursing a private education loan. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss federal student aid availability prior to applying for a private loan. Federal Direct Loans and other federal student aid may have terms and conditions that are more favorable than the provisions of private student loans. More information on Federal vs. Private Loans.


Obtain the form from your lender or print it and complete Sections 2, 3 and 4.  Return the completed form to your lender; do not submit it to the Financial Aid Office.

To find your Cost of Attendance for Section 2, Item A if you filed a FAFSA:

  • Go to Self-Service Banner (SSB) through myPNC
  • Select Financial Aid from the Main Menu
  • Select Cost of Attendance
  • Select the applicable Aid Year from the Select Aid Year dropdown menu and click on Submit

To find your Cost of Attendance if you did not file a FAFSA or it is unavailable in SSB:

To find your Estimated Financial Assistance for Section 2, Item B:

  • Go to Self-Service Banner (SSB) through myPNC
  • Select Financial Aid from the Main Menu
  • Select Award Information
  • Select Award for Aid Year and make a note of your Total Financial Aid Award
  • Select Resources/Additional Information and make a note of your Total Expected Resources. Add both together to obtain your Estimated Financial Assistance

Learn more about Private Loans