Purdue University North
Cental Writing Center Handout
Uses of the Hyphen
is used to:
1. divide a word at the end of a line
(according to dictionary syllable division).
2. join together words or prefixes and words.
3. join a prefix to a proper noun.
4. join a prefix ending in a vowel to a word beginning with the same vowel.
5. join a prefix to a word to discriminate between words.
6. join two or more adjectives used as one word to modify another word.
(ex. low-level official,
7. join compound numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine and in specific fractions.