Mechanical engineering (ME) is the broadest of all engineering disciplines and involves activities in research and development, design and manufacturing, operations and maintenance, and marketing and sales, among others. Mechanical engineers are employed in virtually every sector of the economy including: the aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, chemical, computer, construction, consumer product, defense, and energy and thermal systems industries.
The bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering offers a strong curriculum that equips students with a broad education, providing them a solid foundation for professional engineering practice or for continuing education. In addition, ME places importance on workplace skills and professionalism, creating an integrated curriculum that is highly valued by employers. Graduates may become CEO’s, entrepreneurs, chief engineers, astronauts, faculty, physicians, and patent attorneys, among other occupations.
Our mission is to provide a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) within the general missions of Purdue University and the College of Engineering and Technology. The BSME program is designed to prepare students for entry into the professional practice of mechanical engineering.
Program Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives for the Mechanical Engineering field of study at Purdue North Central:
- Provide a well-rounded quality undergraduate engineering education leading to all graduates being employed.
- Our graduates are project managers and higher while demonstrating the professional and ethical responsibilities of the engineering profession.
- Our graduates have contributed to their community through professional and personal actions.
- Many of our graduates have attended graduate school or other additional educational opportunities.
- Many of our students have started their own business or have participated with small business.
Mechanical Engineering Plan of Study
Fall 2012 (pdf)
Articulation Agreement with Ivy Tech Community College:
This program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
|Academic Year||Number of Graduates|
|Academic Year||Number Enrolled|