TechSmith Camtasia is a terrific tool for creating lectures, tutorials, and more for your students. It allows for high-quality videos that are easy to edit and can contain everything from captions to picture effects to self-grading quizzes. It is an ideal tool for helping you “flip” your classroom, and it is freely available to Purdue University staff – visit http://www.itap.purdue.edu/learning/tools/camtasia/ to request your university copy for home and office (available for Mac and Windows).
- Camtasia QuickStart Documentation (Adobe PDF)
- TechSmith tutorial website
- Tutorial for Camtasia companion product, SnagIt (also available through the ITAP link above)
- Learn more about Flipping Your Classroom (PDF)
- Review the webcast from 9-25-13 on Flipped Learning and a brief Camtasia demo
- Review and download the 9-25-13 workshop slides
Jing allows you to record desktop activity with your voiceover, just like Camtasia. However, the free version of Jing does not allow for editing, and does not allow you to record beyond 5 minutes, which makes it ideal for “quick and dirty” types of recordings. Like Camtasia, Jing is able to produce a link for your video to be stored privately in your free web-based library at Screencast.com.