Information Services -
Student Technical Assistant
Information Services Links
The Student Technical Assistants are the first point of contact for students, staff and faculty seeking technical assistance for campus technology issues. They serve as members of the Information Services Team by providing technical support over the phone and in person, and maintaining the smooth operation of T265 main computer lab. The Technical Assistants are under the supervision of the Help Desk Coordinator.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Primary responsibility is user support and customer service. Be present and visible in the Help Desk and available to users requiring technical assistance.
- Respond to questions from callers and walk-ins; assist students, staff, and faculty with technology problems in offices and classrooms; assist in person with problems in the computer lab.
- Be responsible for opening/closing T265 and T164 on time and for working scheduled hours.
- Learn fundamental operations of commonly used software, hardware, and other equipment.
- Follow standard Help Desk operating procedures; accurately log all Help Desk and Lab issues using Remedy call tracking software.
- Accept general responsibility for the computer lab and ensure that it is ready for use; monitor, log and replace supplies as needed (printer paper, toner cartridges, staples)
- Assist in creating/updating the help desk manual
- Take headcount twice per hour, pick up papers around printers, push in chairs and clean up T265, T164 and help desk area as needed.
- Enforce all Computer Lab policies.
- Attend all Help Desk training sessions and staff meetings.
- Become acquainted with other departments within Information Services; stay updated on campus technology changes or problems.
- Become familiar with PNC policies, services, and staff.
- Direct calls to appropriate IS staff as necessary.
- Maintain reasonable discipline and decorum in the Help Desk and computer lab areas.
- Other duties as assigned by the Help Desk Coordinator or other IS staff.
- Friendly presence and helpful attitude; excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to provide technical support over the phone; excellent phone skills, professional demeanor, previous customer service experience strongly desired.
- Good problem solving skills; ability to visualize a problem or situation and think abstractly to solve it.
- Ability to handle constantly changing flow of traffic; remain productive during slow times, be able to multi task effectively during busy times, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations.
- Creativity. Ability to think around problems and come up with creative solutions is helpful.
- Ability to work responsibly with or without direct supervision.
- Working knowledge of common operating systems and software applications.
- Adequate familiarity with equipment found in PNC computer facilities.
- Enrollment in at least one PNC class per semester.
- High school diploma or GED.
The help desk/student lab is open seven days per week when class is in session. Daily hours vary by semester according to students' needs.
We will work with you to come up with a schedule which is mutually beneficial. We do prefer you are available for at least 10 hours per week. The maximum hours you may work per week is 40.
- Applications are available in the Help Desk (Technology Building, Room 265) or on this website .
- This position will remain open until all help desk hours are adequately staffed.
If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact the Help Desk at ext. 5511
or submit a trouble ticket online at: