21st Century Scholars Application
Students and their parents must complete and return the application by June 30 of the 8th grade year. You can request applications for the Twenty-First Century Scholars Program from your College Bound Advisor, school counselor or by calling the Learn More Indiana Helpline at 1-800-992-2076.
Online Link to the Twenty-First Century Scholars Program
Purdue North Central's College Bound is a
- Purdue North Central
- Michigan City Area Schools
- LaPorte Community Schools
- Portage Township Schools
- Michigan City, LaPorte and Portage business communities
The PNC College Bound Program is a pre-college program which supports selected students who have met academic, financial and additional PNC College Bound requirements. The program will continue to supports its participants, after high school, for up to 8 consecutive semesters at PNC as long as all mandatory criteria are met.
Upon completion of the PNC College Bound Program high school requirements, each CB student will receive (upon admission to PNC) the following:
- Tuition and fee assistance, not covered by the 21st Century Scholars Program and/or Frank O'Bannon awards
- Additional stipends awarded at the end of each college semester as well
College Bound aims to identify and assist individuals from various backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. Students are selected as they complete seventh grade, so their most recent ISTEP scores in math and language arts serve as a selection tool. Approximately 75 students will be invited to participate in the program each year.
Program staff will meet with the students on a monthly basis. Students will be provided with the tools - information, academic counseling and personal support - to pursue a rigorous high school curriculum, graduate from high school, and enroll in a postsecondary program.
"The PNC College Bound program is about education. It is about opportunity and opening doors. The College Bound program makes the dream of a college education a reality. Many will be the first in their families to attend college. With 85 percent of our PNC graduates continuing to live and work in Northwest Indiana, these scholarships mean that we will have hundreds of additional Purdue graduates living and working in our communities, pursuing careers, raising their families, and becoming community leaders."
- Chancellor James B. Dworkin
We would like to thank and acknowledge our current and past program supporters: Alcoa Foundation, Kris A. and Alicia Bloos, Dent Family Foundation, Thomas W. Dent, First Trust Federal Credit Union, Horizon Bank, Peter and Charlene Kesling, Kingsbury Elevator, Inc., LaPorte Regional Health System, LaPorte Savings Bank, Michigan City Community Enrichment Corporation, NiSource Charitable Foundation, St. Anthony Memorial Hospital, Sisters of St. Francis Health Services, Sullair Corporation, Tonn & Blank Corporation.
The expansion of a culturally and socioeconomically diverse student body at Purdue North Central, while offering post-secondary educational opportunities to students in the Michigan City area, LaPorte and Portage Schools.
College Bound Selection Criteria:
- Must be a MCAS, LaPorte or Portage seventh grader when recommended
- First Generation College Student
- Must qualify for free and / or reduced lunch as defined by the Indiana Dept. of Education
- Must meet state standard in attendance, which is set at 95 percent
- Passing scores on the ISTEP exam for both math and language arts
- Upon acceptance into the program, student will maintain a 2.0 grade average to retain eligibility
- The selection process will include classroom teacher, and the student's counselor
Help for Students:
PNC's Success Through Education/Talent Search program
This is a free online learning center that features subject guides for English, Foreign Languages, Math, Science, and Social Studies
One-stop shopping for resources, information, and support for parents as well as students K-12
Free Math and Science Help. Grades 6-12; 1-877-ASKROSE
Math and Science assistance from scholarship winning engineering students
A college planning resource
|Photos from College Bound Events:
College Bound students at MCHS homecoming |
College Bound students at summer festival parade
State Rep. Scott Pelath at College Bound event
Coordinator, PNC College Bound
Schwarz Hall 06
1401 S. US Hwy 421
Westville, IN 46391
- Toll-Free in Indiana: (800) 872-1231 ext. 5414
- LaPorte/Westville: 785-5414
- Valpo/Portage: 462-4197, ext. 5414
- Fax Number: 219-785-5468