Students earning the Bachelor of Science degree in Business will enter the business world with a sound understanding of the nature and practices of contemporary business, the basic skills needed to begin their professional careers, and the broad educational foundation necessary to facilitate long-term professional development.
The degree offers a distinctive and flexible curriculum that provides opportunity for students to:
- Build a sound understanding of the nature and practices of contemporary business
- Develop the basic skills needed to begin their professional lives
- Pursue a concentrated course of study in an area of interest
- Establish a broad educational foundation to facilitate long term professional development
The Bachelor of Science in Business requires 120 credit hours. Sixty-six credit hours are devoted to courses in business and related areas. All students take a common core of courses in business and related areas and select a major area of specialization (accounting, economics, law & commerce, management, marketing) to allow each student to develop a particular area of expertise in business or a related field of study. The program begins by establishing a foundation in mathematics, statistics, computer technology, communication, and economics. On this foundation the student will build a working knowledge of basic business functions of accounting, finance, marketing, organization behavior and management.
The program integrates this knowledge with an understanding of the social, legal, international and economic contexts within which business operates as a strategic entity. An additional 60 credit hours are focused on providing a sound general background. The general education component of the program is designed to provide the basic skills in communications and quantitative analysis needed for success in the program and in positions in business. It includes a number of courses in a wide range of areas intended to provide the breadth of background needed to provide a foundation for long-term career development.
The program’s curriculum is flexible. Students work with a faculty advisor to develop a program of study that reflects their own interests within business or a related field. It is also flexible in accommodating both full-time and part-time students. Courses are offered at a number of different times and locations.
Plans of Study
- Bachelors of Science in Busines-plan of study
- Bachelor of Science- Business -Bingo Sheet
- Courses that Meet General Education Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Business
- Minors in Business
- Organizational Leadership
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership was designed with the active assistance of business and industrial leaders. It provides a practical, people-oriented approach to the practice of leadership and was established to meet the educational needs of:
- Individuals currently employed who desire to develop leadership skills
- Students that are majoring in fields which have limited job opportunities who desire to increase their employability by developing leadership as well as technical skills
- Graduates from associate degree programs who desire to continue their studies
The OL curriculum provides a comprehensive approach that fosters the development of leadership skills applicable in a wide variety of settings. In addition to the leadership core, students also pursue coursework in a variety of business-related topics as well as general education components. The plan of study is also flexible enough to accommodate the pursuit of a minor or other area of interest.
Graduates of the OL program are prepared for successful careers in business, education, retail, service, government, health care and industry/manufacturing. Depending upon how their coursework was structured, graduates may be working in positions such as management, human resources, training, accounting, customer service, field engineering, plant engineering, production or process control, purchasing, quality control, sales or technical writing. The OL degree is also well positioned to serve students who have already completed an AS degree in a technical field who wish to go on to complete their BS degree with the intent of advancing to leadership positions within their chosen profession.
Plans of Study
- Bachelor of Science in OLS-plan of study
- Bachelor of Science Organizational Leadership-Bingo Sheet
- Associate of Science-OLS
- Certificate in Organizational Leadership
- Minor in Organizational Administration
- Minor in Organizational Leadership
The demand in Indiana for human resource professionals is high. The Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Resources is designed to help students develop core competencies in all aspects of human resources management. Students are also encouraged to further develop their skills by working within the business community through internship and service learning opportunities. In addition to providing a solid background in human resources, the program also provides students with a comprehensive general education foundation as well as the opportunity to develop other business related skills. A graduate with a BS degree in Human Resources may work in one or more of five key areas: staffing, training and development, occupational safety and health, compensation and benefits, and employee and labor relations.
Students with a BS degree in human resources will be prepared for the national certification exam offered by the Human Resources Certification Institute which is becoming increasingly required for employment.
Plans of Study
- Bachelor of Science in Human Resources- 4 year plan of study
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Resources Plan of Study (Bingo Sheet)
- Associates of Science-OLS emphasis HR
- Certificate in Human Resources
- Minor in Human Resource Management
Master of Business Administration
The Purdue University North Central Department of Business offers a Master of Business Administration degree that will prepare students for leadership positions in a variety of business and professional settings.
The pace of economic change, fueled by globalization, is accelerating and communities who wish to remain viable must take the lead in developing and applying strategies that can recognize and respond to emerging trends. An active strategy that is regionally focused is essential. The Graduate Certificate in Economic Development was created to support the activities of local professionals involved in regional economic development. Although the program is academically based, it is grounded in practice since applications of the literature and region’s resources and capabilities are emphasized. Participants can elect to take the program for credit, or on a non-credit, continuing education basis. The certificate includes three courses designed to:
- Provide an overview of the latest literature on regional economic development
- Review and critically assess regional assets that can attract and retain business investment
- Provide an opportunity for participants to develop a compelling case for one of our communities desiring to attract a potential new investment project.